This tiny plugin re-adds the Editor text underline, text justify and rearrange buttons in the WYSIWYG as they were before WordPress 4.7.
Why this plugin ?
In WordPress 4.7, the core developper team decided to make various changes in the editor (TinyMce WYSIWYG), including removing the underline and justify buttons and rearranging some of the toolbar buttons.
Here is the topic annoucing this on Make WordPress Core
The underline and justify buttons have been removed from the bottom row. Underlining is a bad practice as readers can confuse it with links (bad accessibility), and it does not insert a semantic element. Justifying has uneven browser implementation, and in many cases is bad for readability.
You still can justify and underline text without this plugin by using the following keyboard shortcude :
- Select the Text which will be Justified, then press: SHIFT + ALT + J
- SeIect the Text which wiII be underIined Press: CTRL + U
If you don’t want to change the way you edit your content and/or don’t want to confuse your customers with a new contribution interface, this simple and lightweight plugin will set the editor style back to its previous state.
You may change the Editor style from the Writing option page.
Just go to Settings -> Writing and you’ll find a new select dropdown with the options described below.
4 options are available for the Editor style :
- Default – without underline & justify buttons
- Re-add underline & justify buttons
- Re-add underline & justify + rearrange
- Re-add justify only
In my opinion, the third option is a fair compromise between versions 4.6 and 4.7 of the editor. It moves up the style select to the first line, and moves the justify button after the other text position buttons.
IMPORTANT: Try different options before posting a bug repport. Some plugins like ACF (free version) are using there own list of buttons and can create conflict with this plugin. Option 3 and 4 are best to prevent this plugin from removing your existing buttons.
- Upload and activate the plugin (or install it through the WP admin console)
- Go to Settings -> Writing and select the option you want under “Editor style”.
- That’s it, it is ready to use!
The plugin includes just a few sentences, but you can easily translate them through .MO & .PO files. Currently available languages are:
- Other translation are regularly added on WordPress.org…